ABOUT THIS BOOK
When Lily meets Albert, a refugee from Hungary, during the summer of 1944, they begin a special friendship. However, Lily and Albert have both told lies, and Lily has told a lie that may cost Albert his life.
Named a 1998 Newbery Honor Book, an ALA Notable Book, and a Boston Globe--Horn Book
"Details...are woven with great effect into a realistic story."
--The Horn Book Magazine
"Exceptional characterizations and a robust story line...this has all the ingredients that best reward readers."
--The New York Times Book Review
"With wry comedy and intense feeling...Giff gets across a strong sense of what it was like on the home front during World War II...The friendship story is beautifully drawn."
- Newbery Honor BookWINNER
- Parenting Magazine Best Book of the YearWINNER 1998
- ALA Notable Children's BookNOMINEE 2000
- Illinois Rebecca Caudill Young Readers AwardNOMINEE 2000
- Colorado Blue Spruce Young Adult Book AwardWINNER 1999
- Arkansas Charlie May Simon Master ListWINNER 1999
- Kentucky Bluegrass Master ListWINNER 1998
- Maine Student Book Master List
Click here for Patricia Reilly Giff’s printable Author Bio
Visit the Patricia Reilly Giff Web site!
Contact us about speaking engagements with Patricia Reilly Giff