ABOUT THIS BOOK
This year, as in other years, Lily has planned a spectacular summer in Rockaway, in her family's cozy house on stilts over the Atlantic Ocean. But by the summer of 1944, World War II has changed almost everyone's life. Lily's best friend, Margaret, and her family have moved to a wartime factory town, and worse, much worse, Lily's father is on his way overseas to the war.
There's no one else Lily's age in Rockaway until Albert comes, a refugee from Hungary, a boy with a secret sewn into his coat. Albert has lost most of his family in the war; he's been through things Lily can't imagine. But when they join together to rescue and care for a kitten, they begin a special friendship. For Lily and Albert have their own secrets to share: they both have told lies, and Lily has told a lie that may cost Albert his life.
"...Giff really pulls readers' heartstrings with Albert's memories of his family, the loss of Margaret's well-liked brother in the war, and Lily's joyful reunion with Poppy. Pull out the hankies for the final scene, in which Lily returns to Rockaway the following summer to find Albert--and Ruth--waiting for her. It's a strong ending to a deftly told story."
- Newbery Honor BookWINNER 1998
- ALA Notable Children's BookWINNER 1999
- Arkansas Charlie May Simon Master ListNOMINEE 2000
- Illinois Rebecca Caudill Young Readers AwardNOMINEE 2000
- Colorado Blue Spruce Young Adult Book AwardWINNER 1999
- Kentucky Bluegrass Master ListWINNER 1998
- Maine Student Book Master ListWINNER 1999
- Massachusetts Children's Book Master List
Click here for Patricia Reilly Giff’s printable Author Bio
Visit the Patricia Reilly Giff Web site!