ABOUT THIS BOOK
Bestselling author and columnist Carl Hiaasen returns with another hysterical mystery for kids set in Florida's Everglades.
Bunny Starch, the most feared biology teacher ever, is missing. She disappeared after a school field trip to Black Vine Swamp. And, to be honest, the kids in her class are relieved.
But when the principal tries to tell the students that Mrs. Starch has been called away on a "family emergency," Nick and Marta just don't buy it. No, they figure the class delinquent, Smoke, has something to do with her disappearance.
And he does! But not in the way they think. There's a lot more going on in Black Vine Swamp than any one player in this twisted tale can see. And Nick and Marta will have to reckon with an eccentric eco-avenger, a stuffed rat named Chelsea, a wannabe Texas oilman, a singing substitute teacher, and a ticked-off Florida panther before they really begin to see the big picture.
That's life in the swamp, kids.
Starred Review, School Library Journal, January 2009:
“This well-written and smoothly plotted story, with fully realized characters, will certainly appeal to mystery lovers.”Review, The New York Times Book Review, February 15, 2009:
"Not many authors are equally successful at writing books for adults and children, but Carl Hiaasen seems to have made an effortless transition ... The ingenious plotting makes SCAT more engrossing than either of its predecessors."
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Carl Hiaasen has been writing about Florida since his father gave him a typewriter at age six. Then it was hunt-and-peck stories about neighborhood kickball and softball games. Now Hiaasen writes a column for the Miami Herald
and is the author of many bestselling novels, including Sick Puppy
and Nature Girl.
Hiaasen's first novel for young readers, was the recipient of numerous awards, including the prestigious Newbery Honor. And Flush,
his second book for kids, spent more than a year on the New York Times
You can read more about Hiaasen's work at www.carlhiaasen.com.
- Kid's Indie Next List "Inspired Recommendations for Kids from Indie Booksellers"WINNER 2009
- Skipping Stone Honor AwardNOMINEE 2011
- Indiana Young Hoosier Master ListNOMINEE
- Connecticut Nutmeg Children's Book Master ListNOMINEE
- Florida Sunshine State Book AwardNOMINEE
- Nebraska Golden Sower AwardNOMINEE
- Florida Sunshine State Book AwardFINALIST
- IRA--CBC Children's ChoiceWINNER
- Chicago Public Librarys Best of the Best booksWINNER
- IRA Children's ChoicesNOMINEE
- Kentucky Bluegrass AwardNOMINEE
- Illinois Rebecca Caudill Young Readers AwardNOMINEE
- Rhode Island Children's Book AwardNOMINEE
- New Hampshire Great Stone Face Children's Book AwardNOMINEE
- Iowa High School Book AwardNOMINEE
- South Carolina Junior Book AwardNOMINEE
- Vermont Dorothy Canfield Fischer Book AwardNOMINEE
- Indiana Young Hoosier AwardNOMINEE
- Kansas William White Award