Susan Lewis delivers a deeply moving novel in Never Say Goodbye about finding friendship and love in the most unexpected of places. If you are a fan of Jodi Picoult, Heather Gudenjauf, or Elizabeth Flock then this just may be the perfect read for your book club. Below are the questions and topics for discussion.
Questions and Topics for Discussion:
1. How would Josie’s life have been different if she had been able to tell her family about her condition immediately? Do you think her life would have been better or worse if she had?
2. Have you ever had a secret you felt you had to keep from those closest to you in order to protect them? How did you deal with it?
3. Did you relate to one of the two main characters, Josie and Bel, more than the other? Which one, and why?
4. Why did Josie take her husband, Jeff, back after he cheated on her? Did he deserve it? Would you have done the same? Do you think he redeemed himself in the end?
5. Bel is upset when Nick and Kristina get married so soon after the death of her sister, which puts her off to a rocky start with Kristina. What brings Bel and Kristina together in the end?
6. Do you think Josie’s son, Ryan, actually committed the crime he was accused of?
7. Why does Bel push Harry away?
8. In what ways do Bel and Josie complement each other? Do you think they would have discovered a friendship if horrible circumstances hadn’t thrust them together? Has their friendship changed them by the end of the book?
9. Which of the many themes of the novel (friendship, family ties, love, and loss, among others) struck you as most important?
10. Were you surprised by the ending? What did you think would happen?
11. Did you learn anything you didn’t know before about breast cancer because of reading the novel? Did the book change your thinking in any way?
12. How did Bel’s volunteer work affect her life? Have you ever volunteered with or would you ever consider volunteer- ing with an organization like Breast Cancer Care?