We’ve got the discussion questions to get you and your book club started with DON’T LET ME GO by Susan Lewis. Happy Reading!
Questions and Topics for Discussion
1. Even if no one had ever found out the secrets of Charlotte’s past, would she have been able to enjoy her new life with Chloe? Or would she always worry whether she got away with it?
2. Do you think Katie was right in turning Charlotte in?
3. Charlotte and Chloe have an intense and loving bond,
despite not being related by blood. What makes someone family?
4. What problems did you see in the foster-care system that Chloe faced upon her return to England? Could Chloe’s time back in the system have been avoided?
5. What will be the lasting effects of everything that Chloe’s gone through? Will Charlotte’s love allow Chloe to live a normal life in the future? Or will she always carry the scars of her early abuse and her traumatic time in the foster-care system?
6. Rick and Charlotte both led double lives, of a very different sort. Rick’s was ostensibly because he was worried about coming out to his father. Were his reluctance and lies justified?
7. Charlotte and her mother had a very loving yet also very difficult relationship from the moment they reunited, but Anna proved herself over Charlotte’s trial. What do you think their relationship will be like going forward?
8. What did you make of the “not guilty” verdict? What, to you, is the true definition of justice?
9. Anthony came to Charlotte’s rescue like a knight in shining armor. What did you make of his defense of Charlotte and her actions?
10. Were you surprised by the ending?
11. What changes do you think the additions of Anthony and the new baby will make in Charlotte’s family?
12. The novel has many themes, including love, home, and the true meanings of justice and family. Which was the most meaningful for you?