Things Every Witch Should Know
1. Magic is what happens when you open yourself to the Divine.
All real magic is a manifestation of the Divine - it is how you
co-create reality with deity.
2. The Divine is within you and is everywhere present in the
natural world. And everything is interconnected by this sacred
3. Wicca is not about information -- it's about transformation,
so practice, practice, practice -- and do it as much as possible
in Nature! Witchcraft enables you to commune with divinity and
to manifest your destiny, your desires and your highest and sacred
4. The real ethics of how Witches live and practice magic are
simple: Witches live in a sacred manner because we live in a sacred
world. We therefore treat all of life with reverence and respect.
5. Because all magic flows from our connection to the Sacred,
our lives and our magic, must be guided by the sacred nature of
the energy with which we work.
6. The energy Witches work with is not neutral -- it is divine
7. Magic often works in unexpected way because it is not a mechanical
process, and the Universe is not a machine. You are living and
making magic within a divine, organic, living reality.
8. Witches don't command and control -- they commune and co-create.
9. The real secret of successful spellcasting, as with all of
magic, is your connection to the Divine power that dwells within
you, and surrounds you. And spells do work so be careful what
you ask for!
10. Nature makes the Divine tangible. By working, living, and
practicing your magic in harmony with Nature, you are in harmony
with the Divine.
11. The ultimate teacher is the God/Goddess inside you and in
the world of Nature all around you.
Create Your Own Book of Shadows/Magic
Read a book on spirituality these days, and you're sure to run
into the word journaling. Wicca has a tradition of such collected
wisdom: each Witch can draw upon the spells, rituals and invocations
collected in her Book of Shadows.
Creating a record of your Wiccan experiences can be as simple
as starting with an informal magic diary -- recording your adventures
into spell casting, divination and any of the other topics explored
step by step in Witch Crafting. As you gain experiences,
you can put together your own Book of Shadows. Whether a humble
spiral notebook or a beautiful bound journal, a Book of Shadows
- a dedication page
- invocations of the Goddess and God
- rituals, chants, songs, prayers and dances
- wisdom and insights that have been given to you in ritual
- magical information such as spells, potions, and symbols
Magic Online: Finding Wiccans and Forming
Form Your own Coven
An increasingly common way for people to begin practicing Wicca
together is to start a study group that may evolve into a coven
(traditionally, a coven isn't formed until a group has been together
for a year and a day, through every season). This more casual
format will allow all of you the opportunity to get to know one
another, to see who is serious about pursuing the more committed
relationships required by a coven, discover your group's dynamics,
and experience the natural attrition that occurs with any group,
but which will be much easier to deal with in a study group. It
will also provide an opportunity for you to explore a variety
of approaches to Wicca to determine which tradition, or traditions,
you would like to pursue more seriously.
Here are just a few things to consider as your organize a study
- One of the best ways to find people is by posting flyers with
a brief description of what you'd like to set up.
- You may want to interview people before the group first gets
together, or simply arrange for everyone to meet simultaneously
- Start by sitting in a circle so that everyone can see each
other and begin working within this spiritual structure
- Create a structure in which everyone gets an equal opportunity
to speak without interruption for a specific and limited time
- Introduce yourselves, share your stories, and talk about your
interests, expectations, and goals.
Early on, it's important for any group Ð a new study group,
coven, or workshop that will be meeting regularly, and especially
any group working Witch Crafting -- to discuss the most
important spiritual principles of Wicca. How will these principles
guide your spiritual work as a group? And as individuals?
How to Join the Temple of Ara and Study
Phyllis lectures and gives workshops all over the U.S, Europe
and Australia. Dates and locations of future lectures, workshops
and booksignings will be posted on this and the websites listed
The Temple of Ara is being legally incorporated as a tax exempt
Religious Corporation (Temple) of which you may become a member.
A program of study and initiatory training with Phyllis and the
elders of her Temple is also being created.
If you are interested in either of these, please enclose an SASE
and write to:
Prince Street Station
New York, N.Y. 10012
Or email to www.WitchCrafting.com or www.bookofshadows.net. Please
be sure to caption your email: Membership or Training.