Today, as a self-described "integrative holistic veterinarian," Dr. Schoen takes a bold
approach to preventing and healing disease: He merges alternative therapies like nutrition,
acupuncture and chiropractic, with tender, compassionate care. The results have been nothing
less than astounding. Part James Herriot, part Andrew Weil, KINDRED SPIRITS shares the
extraordinary details, including...
* Moving true stories of human/animal companions supporting one another through debilitating
* The latest research on how animal companions promote human healing by lowering blood pressure
during stress; reducing anxiety and despair among psychiatric patients; increasing self-esteem
in at-risk children; improving quality of life for seniors; and much more.
* A seven-step guide to fostering kindred connections between humans and animals.
* How to do a natural pet scan at home.
* The author's best advice for a holistic animal first-aid kit.
* A natural approach to treating diet and treating food allergies in animals.
KINDRED SPIRITS is a passionate plea for heightened awareness and respect for species other
than our own. A unique blend of science and sentiment, it is a testament to how the human-animal
connection can improve quality of life for both. But more research is needed, says Dr. Schoen,
and with this book he issues a call to action:
"Better and more research is needed to convince skeptics that animals are a gift to the
human race--a gift that humans rarely take full advantage of. Only now are we even beginning
to understand what a marvelous blessing animals truly are."