THE DARK ANGELS CHALLENGE
Do you know your history? Take the Dark Angels Challenge
and win signed copies of the book for your book group! Official
Do you belong to a book group?
If yes, how many members are there in your group?
What do your group prefer to read, hardcovers or paperbacks
1. In what way was Charles II, king of England, related
to Louis XIV, king of France?
They were uncle and nephew
They were first cousins
Their queens were sisters
2. What was the cause of England’s civil war in
The queen was French and Catholic
Charles I and his Parliament were engaged in a struggle over royal
prerogative and Parliament’s power
Puritans and Presbyterians feared “high” church practices
by the Church of England
3. Why did the oak tree become so important to the mythology
around the Restoration?
King Charles I was hung hanged from an oak tree
The oak was a symbol of strength and endurance, and so the royal family,
with all their tribulations, adopted it
Charles II, when Prince of Wales, hid all day in a pollard oak to
escape Cromwell’s soldiers
4. Where did Charles II meet the brazen Barbara Palmer,
later the Duchess of Cleveland?
5. Where was Queen Catherine from?
6. What historical character is the Duke of Balmoral
General Monck [He was created Duke of Albermarle after the Restoration]
Duke of Albemarle [He was General George Monck before the Restoration]
Earl of Clarendon
7. How old was Charles II when he regained his throne?
8. Who was the Duke of Monmouth’s mother?
9. Why was the Duke of Monmouth such a threat to the
Duke of York, heir to the throne?
Monmouth was Protestant
Charles secretly wished him to have the throne
The powerful Earl of Clarendon backed Monmouth
10. What company, existing to this day, did Prince
East India Company
Bank of England
Hudson Bay Company
the Audio Book
an excerpt from