In 1948 with post-war Britain’s sense “dulled by traffic and by bombs”, this pocket-sized book was a clarion call for readers to rediscover the beauties of the idyllic English countryside. Published by Southern Railways, it recounts the joys of listening to birdsong, picking whortleberries, gazing at the clouds and "being genial" in the bars of tiny village inns – experiences that had been obscured by war, deprivation and the bus and train journeys that suburbanization had brought. Offering twenty real country walks around Surrey and Kent, this guide reveals where the 1940s rambler would be "most likely to find quietude and loveliness" – as well as the best cakes!
Table of Contents
1. Guildford, St. Martha's Chapel, the Silent Pool, Shere, Gomshall, Dorking
2. Haslemere, Hindhead, Thursley, Ockley Common, Milford, or Godalming...
3. Haslemere, Haste Hill, Blackdown...
4. Woking, Horsell Common, Chobham, Valley End, Higham, Foxhill, Staple Hill, Longcross, Chilldown, Stonehill, Woking...
5. From Guildford, by way of Compton, Puttenham, The Tarn, Charles Hill, Tilford, Waverly Abbey and Moor Park to Farnham
6. Dorking, Ranmore Common, Polesden Lacey, Camilla Lacey, Burford Bridge, Box Hill, Pilgrim's Way, Boxhurst, Watermill, Dorking
7. Dorking, The Rookery, Tillingbourne, Friday Street, Leith Hill, Coldharbour, Lower Merriden Farm, Redlands Wood, Dorking
8. Dorking, Glory Wood, Stonebridge, North Holmwood, Holmwood Common, the Lord Nelson, Redlands Wood, Chadhurst Farm, Westcott, Wotton
9. Dorking, Ashcombe Wood, Ranmore Common, Dog Kennel Green, Oaken Grove, Hackhurst Downs, Gomshall
10. Abinger, Holmbury Hill, Hurt Wood, Pitch Hill, Peaslake
11. Dorking, Box Hill Station, Camilla Lacey, Norbury Park, Druid's Grove, Box Hill
12. Mickleham, the Happy Valley, Cockshot Hill, High Ashurst, Birchingrove Farm, Boxhurst, Dorking
13. Reigate, Colley Hill, Walton Heath, Pebble Hill, Pilgrim's Way, Dorking
14. Horsham, St. Leonard's Forest, Lily Beds, The Goldings, Coolhurst, Horsham
15. Warnham, Holbrook Park, Morris Wood, The Misers, Baldhouse Park, Lamb Green, Stumbleholme Farm, The Mount, Lower Prestwood Farm, Russ Hill, Glover's Wood, Newdigate Place, Ockley Lodge, Tanthouse Farm, Aldhurst Farm, Capel Ockley Station
16. Warnham Station, Warnham Village, Bathing Pool, Rowhook Manor, The Chequers, Stane Street, Roman Woods, The Lake, Hyes, Rudgwick
17. Reigate, Reigate Heath, Betchworth Mill, The Mole, Ricebridge Farm, Flanchford, Bury's Court, Leigh, Dawes Green, Moat House, Brockham, Betchworth Park, Dorking
18. Oxford, Limpsfield, Uvedale Road, Limpsfield Common, Golf Course, The Chart, Kent Hatch, Crockham Hill Common, Camp Squerryes, Westerham, Titsey, Oxted
19. Brasted, Elliott's Lane, Hever Wood, Emmetts, Ide Hill, Toy's Hill, Weardale Manor, French Street, Hosey Common, Westerham, Squerryes Court, High Chart, Limpsfield Common, Oxted
20. Oxted, Chalk Pit Lane, Downs, The Ridge, Gangers Hill, South Hawke, Barrow Green, Priory, Gibbs Brook, Barley Mow, Tandridge, Southlands, Braodham Green, Oxted Mill, Oxted
Index to places mentioned