A companion in poetry and prose along the journey of love and marriage—from the author of the bestselling Ten Poems series.
Poems can teach us in ways that surpass other forms of understanding, especially when the subject concerns matters of the heart. When the heart’s whispers are too faint for us to hear in ordinary ways, poetry can speak to us with another kind of eloquence.
From the leap of joy that a couple takes on their wedding day to a fiftieth wedding anniversary that acknowledges the deep connection that a life together can bring, marriage takes us on a journey that passes through seasons and stages, peaks and valleys. This book honors that journey through twenty poems that celebrate and illuminate some of these major stages and provides not only inspiration for the journey but also solace and wisdom. Roger Housden, the author of Ten Poems to Change Your Life, provides essential insights into the poems, creating a collection of reflective prose and poetry that makes this an inspirational guidebook as much as a volume of poetry.
In Twenty Poems to Bless Your Marriage, Roger Housden offers poems and essays that will give voice to your heart, offering up words and wisdom not just for special occasions but to act as friends and guides to refer to throughout the life of a marriage.
Table of Contents
1. THE JOY: "Looking for Your Face," by Rumi; "A Blessing for Wedding," by Jane Hirschfield; "Our Love Is Like Byzantium," by Henrick Nordbrandt; "The Recognition," attributed to Roy Croft
2. THE JOURNEY: "On Marriage," by Kahlil Gibran; "The Quarrel," by Conrad Aiken; "Tigers," by Eliza Griswold; "Love Story," by Wesley McNair
3. THE WORK: "Know Deeply, Know Thyself More Deeply," by D. H. Lawrence; "The Well of Grief," by David Whyte; "The Ache of Marriage," by Denise Levertov; "Vow," by Clare Shaw
4. THE LOVE: "It Happens All the Time in Heaven," by Hafiz; "Sonnet 116," by William Shakespeare; "I Come Home Wanting to Touch Everyone," by Stephen Dunn; "We Take the New Young Couple Out to Dinner," by Carol Tufts
5. THE UNION: "A Third Body," by Robert Bly; "Come With Me," by Fran Landesman; "The Blue Robe," by Wendell Berry; "Nothing Can Shatter This Love," by Hafiz
6. THE SAVING GRACE: From "Listening to the Köln Concert," by Robert Bly