Discover the Power of Positive Time-Out
Time-out is one of the most popular disciplinary techniques used in homes and schools today. But instead of being the positive, motivating, experience it should be for children, it is often punitive, counterproductive, and damaging to their gentle psyches.
In this book, bestselling parenting author Jane Nelsen shows you how to make time-out a positive learning experience for children. Inside, you'll discover how positive time-out can teach children the art of self-discipline and instill such invaluable qualities as self-confidence and problem-solving skills. You'll also learn how to:
·Make time-out an encouraging experience
·Develop an attitude and action plan to avoid power struggles with children
·Empower children by involving them in the behavior changing process
·Understand the mistaken goals of negative behavior
"Gives parents and teachers the encouragement and tools they need to help children handle their own behavior."—Sheryl Hausinger, M.D., Texas Children's Pediatric Associates and mother of three
"Offers more than 50 ways that parents can set limits while still encouraging their kids. It should be in every doctor's waiting room."—Jody McVittie, M.D., family physician
Table of Contents
1. Time-Out: Encouragement or Discouragement?
2. If Not Punitive Time-Out, Then What?
3. Time-Out for Children Under the Age of Reason
4. Punishment and Rewards Are Not Effective Long-Term Motivators
5. Understanding the Mistaken Goals of Behavior
6. Will Children Ever Just Mind? A Case for Encouragement
7. Logical Consequences
8. Button, Button, Who's Got the Button? Positive Time-Out for Adults
9. Attitude Tools for Avoiding Power Struggles While Empowering Children
10. Action Tools for Avoiding Power Struggles While Empowering Children
11. Putting It All Together
About Jane Nelsen, Ed.D.
Jane Nelsen, Ed.D., coauthor of the bestselling Positive Discipline series, is a licensed marriage, family, and child therapist. Her books have sold over a million copies. She lives in Salt Lake City.