Upgrade to the Flash 9 viewer for enhanced content, including the ability to browse & search through your favorite titles.
Click here to learn more!
With an intellectual boldness and redemptive passion, West addresses the growing nihilism among African-Americans; the failure of both liberal and conservative approaches to race; the taboos surrounding black sexuality; and the cult and legacy of Malcolm X. West's subject matter ranges from the crisis in black leadership to the myths surrounding black sexuality; from affirmative action to black-Jewish relations. He never hesitates to confront the prejudices of all his readers--or wavers in his insistence that they share a common destiny. Bold in its thought and written with a redemptive passion grounded in the traditions of the African-American church, Race Matters is a work that is at once challenging and deeply healing. With an Epilogue by the author.
Introduction: Race Matters
1. Nihilism in Black America
2. The Pitfalls of Racial Reasoning
3. The Crisis of Black Leadership
4. Demystifying the New Black Conservatism
5. Beyond Affirmative Action: Equality and Identity
6. On Black-Jewish Relations
7. Black Sexuality: The Taboo Subjects
8. Malcolm X and Black Rage
Epilogue to the Vintage Edition