Upgrade to the Flash 9 viewer for enhanced content, including the ability to browse & search through your favorite titles.
Click here to learn more!
C.W. Ceram visualized archeology as a wonderful combination of high adventure, romance, history and scholarship, and this book, a chronicle of man's search for his past, reads like a dramatic narrative. We travel with Heinrich Schliemann as, defying the ridicule of the learned world, he actually unearths the remains of the ancient city of Troy. We share the excitement of Lord Carnarvon and Howard Carter as they glimpse the riches of Tutankhamen's tomb, of George Smith when he found the ancient clay tablets that contained the records of the Biblical Flood, and other ancient and mystical events of world history. Here is much of the history of civilization and the stories of the men who rediscovered it.
Part One: The Book of the Statues: Pompeii, Troy, Mycenae, Crete
1. The Queen of Naples: From Her Garden to Pompeii
2. Winckelmann: The Birth of Science
3. Interlude: Why Search for the Past?
4. Schliemann (I): A Merchant Digs for Trojan Gold
5. Schliemann (II): The Mask of Agamemnon
6. Schliemann (III): Conflict with the Scholars
7. Schliemann (IV): Mycenae, Tiryns, and Crete
8. Evans: Crete and the Minotaur
Part Two: The Book of Pyramids: The Empires of Egypt
9. Napoleon: In the Land of the Pharaohs
10. Champollion (I): The Mystery of the Rosetta Stone
11. Champollion (II): Treason and Hieroglyphics
12. Belzoni, Lepsius, and Mariette: Life in Ancient Egypt
13. Petrie: the Tomb of Amenemhet
14. Robbers in the Valley of the Kings
16. Carter: The Tomb of Tutankhamen
17. Carter: The Curse of the Pharaohs
Part Three: The Book of Towers: The Kingdoms of Assyria, Babylonia, and Sumeria
18. Botta Finds Nineveh
19. Grotefend: A Schoolteacher Deciphers Cuneiform
20. Rawlinson: Nebuchadnezzar's Dictionary in Clay
21. Layard: A Dilettante Outwits a Pasha
22. George Smith: The Story of the Flood
23. Koldewey: The Tower of Babel
24. Woolley: The Oldest Culture in the World
Part Four: The Book of the Temples: The Empires of the Aztecs, the Mayas, and the Toltecs
25. Cortes (I): The Treasure of Moctezuma
26. Cortes (II): The Beheaded Culture
27. John Lloyd Stephens Buys a Jungle City
29. The Mystery of the Abandoned Mayan Cities
30. Edward Herbert Thompson: Chichen-Itza and the Sacred Well
31. Aztecs, Mayas, and Toltecs: Whence Did They Come?
Part Five: Books That Cannot Yet Be Written
32. New Searches in Old Empires